Walk on the edge of democracyContent | Watch clip
In summer 2007 the annual world economic summit of the Group of Eight leading industrialized nations (G8) took place in the Baltic Sea Resort of Heiligendamm. To protect the Heads of States there was built a „technical barrier“ in a radius of three kilometers around town: an enormous high-security fence. It ploughs through the landscape for some 12.5 kilometers and is about 2.5 meters tall, half a meter deep, affixed at the base by 4,800 concrete slabs and crowned by four rows of barbed wire.
In his film „Walk on the edge of democracy“ Jörg Hommer walks along the fence in real-time. Continuously and consistently the camera follows the barricade. The security fence enclosures the whole film. The rhythmic meditative sound of the steps and the interplay of the ongoing in front and behind let the fence become a projection screen of the individual utopia and visions of the spectator. A borderline experience.
The film had its world premiere at the 58th Berlin International Film Festival and is distributed by arsenal - institut für film und videokunst e. V. at arsenal - Institute for Film and Videoart.
150 Min | real-time version | documentary, installation | 2007
75 Min | documentary | 2007
Idea, Director, Camera and Editior: Jörg Hommer, Co-Producer: Egon Bunne, Sound Mixing: Holger Jung and Christian Obermaier, Advice: Prof. Thomas Arslan, UdK Berlin, Color at ARRI Film & TV
- 58th Berlin International Film Festival 2008 (150 Min, real-time version)
- 5th Documenta Madrid 2008 (75 Min version)
- East Silver 2008 Central and Eastern Documentary Film Market Prague
- 4th International Student Festival for digital art re/act 2008 – prize for "Best video work"
- Kunstraum Kreuzberg/Bethanien, Berlin
- Homo Belicus - A Genealogy of war, Christiania/Berlin
- "Protest and Resistance in the Waywardness of Art", Gallery 5020 Salzburg
- Exhibition Circuit at the University of Arts, Berlin
- Volksbühne, Berlin